They say that failure is the universe slapping you across the face and telling you that you’re on the wrong path.
At the start of this year, I was made redundant from my job of four and a half years.
Admittedly I was probably there for two years too long. But I stayed because I was comfortable, proud of what I’d achieved and fond of the people I worked with.
But I wasn’t inspired and I wasn’t firing on all cylinders.
Somewhere along the way I’d lost my ambition, confidence and energy to create.
I’ve spent 2017 trying to find my fire again…
By looking for similar roles in similar companies…
They also say that only a fool does the same thing over again and expects a different result.
And I always thought I was a fast learner…
But I have learned a lot this year. Especially about myself. I’ve learned I’m not someone who is comfortable or motivated in BAU.
I get high off change and challenge. I love walking into uncertainty and confusion, and I love finding opportunities to smooth things out. I get off on challenging the status quo.
It’s hard to maintain the energy for disruption when you are a salaried employee. You get stuck in the BAU, political pressures stand in the way of being brave and doing the right thing by your customers. You get comfortable.
I don’t want to be comfortable. I want to be challenged. I want to be accountable.
So I’m putting myself out there.
Putting my money where my mouth is with Sharper Sherpa: Measurable and Meaningful Marketing and Communications.
Helping businesses who are struggling to see the impact of their investment in marketing and communications understand where, how and why strategies, initiatives, investments, tactics and technology work, and for who.
A supportive, expert guide to help bring together a team to achieve an overwhelming goal.
The fear of failure is there. But without it I would be comfortable. And miserable.
But I need your help.
- If you’ve read this far, please help a girl out and give the post a like on LinkedIn. I promise I will personally thank you.
- If you’re feeling really helpful today, please share the post on LinkedIn. I’ll buy you drink next time I see you (those who know me, know that I’m good for that!).
- I’m also looking for some “test” clients to work closely with, trading a few hours a week of my time, for their feedback and honesty to help craft the best possible proposition.
- If you know of a SMB who might have an internal marketing coordinator that needs help establishing measures, strategies and focus, or a busy general manager who knows they need to start marketing, but are not sure where. Please send them my way.
You can also:
- Like Sharper Sherpa on LinkedIn – I’ll be posting blogs and helpful articles from around the web there.
- Subscribe to the weekly email newsletter – No spam, just the latest blogs in your inbox.
- Send me some props via email – Constructive feedback makes the world go around.
I’ve had the website up and have been sitting on this blog for a few weeks now.
Hitting the “Publish” button and sharing this with my network is going to be one of the scariest things I’ve done in a while.
But in the end the worst that can happen is that I’ll get another slap in the face from the universe.